Gossip, Yellow Pages, Life Tales?

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]As some of you know, I was away for few days due RL but nevertheless I thought about MD and its community quite a lot. Instead of nagging around how much I miss everyone of you I rather thought a bit what could be in a way added to MD, comunity wise.

Looking at one of "silly" TV shows [i](at the point of utter desperation from lack of things to do)[/i] it kindda hit me. Yellow Pages! You have no idea what I am talking about? Well, if you do or if you dont, please keep up with me for a bit longer and I shall try to clarify it slightly.

We have Mood Panel and we have PL wich we use in different ways, true. We have Adventure Log wich actualy informs us of important things happening in MD and so on, as far as I gathered. But what about the every day life of MD population? You cant denay that it exists, or can you?

Our chars have love affairs, friendships formed and broken, there are pubs around where sometimes you can hear interesting things and so on. Things are happening around MD on daily basis. If we are lucky then our chars are on the right place at right time to "see" it or get involved into it.

In past few weeks, I heard from sme how nothing is happening or how the world is silent but I beg to differ. It is true, there is no tiny war or grand war occuring, alliances seem to be more or less dormenting [i](wich actualy is something that would have to be taken care of, but this is not the place to talk about it)[/i] and so on BUT there are stories happening around, personal ones if you wish to call them so.

They, in my humble opinion, are as much part of MD as was burning of Khalazads soul for example even if they dont affect community or the world of MD at large. We for example have Mysteria Blue who is pregnant and it seems to be possesed by something (this is already a past thing if I have been informed corectly, but well, it was something that happened), we have Assira the Black who, if I got it right dealt with similar if not the same thing sometime in past, we have Windy who broke engagemnt, we have Sagewoman who made a prophecy and so on and on. These are just few things that pops into the mind.

Anyhow, as you can see, there definetly are things around that are happening and these things are part of MD, they are its everday life, stories of our chars that only few knows about. We generaly think nothing is happening, that nobody is doing anything, that there is no or only small amount of rp going on, but that is only because we are not there at that time or the echo dissapeared before we have seen it.

Now I wonder, wouldnt all that deserve an actual spot somewhere in or slightly out of MD since well, they are events in the chars lifes?

Few ideas come in mind on how to deal with it. One of it would probably require Murs help, adding something smilar to Adventure Log, a sort of Gossip Log. But there are also other ways of dealing with it, and they are entierly comunity based.

Why not forming a small independant group of, I dont know, maybe 3 or 4 characters who would walk around and gathere these "gossips" on daily basis, somesort of reporters if you will (that could actualy even be a real role).

As we would all know who they are, we could also give them tips on a rumor that they would then try to get lead on. These chars would then do a little research of their own, speak with those involved, follow leads, speak with eyewitnesses and so on. After gathering information they would writte an "article" on it, preaty much the same way as "low-life-jurnalists" do, making up some things to spice it, removing some boring thingies and such, general yellow pages work. After writting the story they would put them somewhere where everybody would be able to acces it and read it.

Maybe on one of the clicables or maybe even send them around as messages to those who might subscribe to it or maybe it could be done in similar way as Gazette is done.

In any case, these articles should not be long but rather few sentences with "to be continued" where it could be. It should be maybe published once per week or maybe every two weeks or so. Those who would be mentioned in one of the "editions" should also have oportunity to add their response to it that would be published in next edition for example.

There are quite some options on how to do this thing. There could also be interwiews, but not those of serious nature, rather the slightly funny ones, maybe even silly ones.

Anyhow, with doing this, average MD inhabitants would have slightly "better" insight in everday matters, it could also give some interesting topics to discus over instead of "How are you? Do you like the weather?" if you get my drift. Futhermore, average MD inhabitant would maybe feel more connected to MD and those around.

But well, this was just a probably silly thought that I got, laying in my bad while having nothing better to do and I thought that there would be no harm in sharing it. I am sorry if this was written far to lenghtly... but I would like to hear what you gals and guys have to say about it. Would you be interested in reading this kind of thing and would you maybe even consider working on it? Do you think this could benefit MD Community or do you find it plain stupid. Why? ...and so on...

Anyhow, thank you for taking time and reading this post and thank you for your possible thoughts about it...

Yours Truly,
Karin[/font]

Edited by LadyDawn

I like the tone of what you are proposing. The more positive things going on around MD the better.

I would be happy to help set up a "Yellow Pages" Clicky with you to enable what you want to do.

It would be great if people with initiative weren't always shot down right off the bat. I will help in any way I can.

Cheers,

Cutler

I personally, would like that whoever is willing to write such things work for the Gazette, the only reason, and i mean [u]only[/u] reason, that it is not able to be released consistantly, and indeed hasnt for a while, is because there isnt enough material for an edition.

If people were to write these articles, I would happily accept them into the Golden Globe Gazette, in preference to a clickable.

Geez ..give the godmod rp and s** rp more space to grow...pregants, affairs and all those are stupid rp and only bad comes out of it..we had this disscusion way back anyway.

Yellow pages to see the affairs and then the rapes incidents to grow? =)) what is this? housewives drama/goosip chanell?
Stories like Khals burning soul can't be comapred not put in the same post with a pregnant rp.

I say MD needs to breath, to breath out this kind of stories and rp, not make them bigger, nor bring them more in front.
We simply need to leave it breath out of the blue thingy that you find everywere, we need to leave the noobs breath when they first enter the game..it needs air, not more smoke to chunk with.

I have to say I do not like the pregnancy role play either, I don't quite see the point of it in a role play setting that is supposed to be fantasy based. You do not role play using the restroom do you?

These sorts of things (pregnancy role play, god modding, etc.) tend to put a negative spotlight on all of role play, thus leaving some of the veterans with the mindset that all or most role play is nothing more than worthless words set in blue. This is not the case, and it only creates a swirling cloud of negativity and a very unneeded 'split' in MD. (Such as with the role play/fighting)

However what of the decent role play? What of the events happening with characters that don't involve the silly and negative aspects of life? We call those events character development, and I have always thought it would be very interesting to see a section or a place in MD specifically to keep up with character development in MD.

I encourage this idea to develop, and I had even discussed such a thing with Ailith at one point, a role play log of sorts.
I think its a good idea Lady Dawn, and I support it.

Edited by Amoran Kalamanira Kol

[quote name='cutler121' date='07 March 2010 - 09:18 AM' timestamp='1267953524' post='55901']
I like the tone of what you are proposing. The more positive things going on around MD the better.

I would be happy to help set up a "Yellow Pages" Clicky with you to enable what you want to do.

It would be great if people with initiative weren't always shot down right off the bat. I will help in any way I can.

Cheers,

Cutler
[/quote]

Thank you, Cutler. Your offer is very much apreciated. But again, it is just an idea atm.

[quote name='Grido' date='07 March 2010 - 02:59 PM' timestamp='1267973961' post='55921']
I personally, would like that whoever is willing to write such things work for the Gazette, the only reason, and i mean [u]only[/u] reason, that it is not able to be released consistantly, and indeed hasnt for a while, is because there isnt enough material for an edition.

If people were to write these articles, I would happily accept them into the Golden Globe Gazette, in preference to a clickable.
[/quote]

Thanks to you also. Well, basicaly I think Golden Globe Gazetter should be used for more serious topics and these "yellow pages" would tarnish its repultation, if you know what I mean, but well, that would be one way of doing it also.

[quote name='Akasha' date='07 March 2010 - 06:54 PM' timestamp='1267988058' post='55936']
Geez ..give the godmod rp and s** rp more space to grow...pregants, affairs and all those are stupid rp and only bad comes out of it..we had this disscusion way back anyway.

Yellow pages to see the affairs and then the rapes incidents to grow? =)) what is this? housewives drama/goosip chanell?
Stories like Khals burning soul can't be comapred not put in the same post with a pregnant rp.

I say MD needs to breath, to breath out this kind of stories and rp, not make them bigger, nor bring them more in front.
We simply need to leave it breath out of the blue thingy that you find everywere, we need to leave the noobs breath when they first enter the game..it needs air, not more smoke to chunk with.
[/quote]

Of course Khals burning soul cant be compared! I was not hinting that it is the same thing, because it is obviously not, but those other things are happening around, if we like it or not while things like that specific burning are not or if they are are realy scarese in occurance thus leaving the mayoriti of us noobs out from it.

MD needs some fresh air, that I will most definetly agree with because at this point the air in it is stall.

And believe it or not, but I was not refering to rape things, that doesnt fit yellow pages but rather than that black cronicq pages.

So, in your own opinion, people should not role-play relationships (mind that frendship or mentorship is a relation also)? Or are you refering to those long lasting pregnancies that are around etc? Please be more specific.

Basicaly what you are proposing is limiting people on what they are allowed or not allowed to role-play. I am most definetly not saying that I agree with all the role-play that is going on, most of it I find ridicules and completly off, and might it be done by veteran players or noob players, it makes no difference. But still, preventing people to role-play what they want to play is same as cenzureship. So if we go in there, then why not put specific rules to roleplay in MD up, saying that all personal stuff is not allowed to be played whilst only things that fit the categhory of burning of soul are allowed, and while "you" do that, set up a monitor organization to hunt down thos who would deviate from that. Hmm... somehow that reminds me on something that was happening in history of rl. :))

[b]But thank you for your imput here, it is greatly appreciated and in a way I do agree[/b].

[quote name='Amoran Kalamanira Kol' date='07 March 2010 - 07:34 PM' timestamp='1267990445' post='55942']
I have to say I do not like the pregnancy role play either, I don't quite see the point of it in a role play setting that is supposed to be fantasy based. You do not role play using the restroom do you?

These sorts of things (pregnancy role play, god modding, etc.) tend to put a negative spotlight on all of role play, thus leaving some of the veterans with the mindset that all or most role play is nothing more than worthless words set in blue. This is not the case, and it only creates a swirling cloud of negativity and a very unneeded 'split' in MD. (Such as with the role play/fighting)

However what of the decent role play? What of the events happening with characters that don't involve the silly and negative aspects of life? We call those events character development, and I have always thought it would be very interesting to see a section or a place in MD specifically to keep up with character development in MD.

I encourage this idea to develop, and I had even discussed such a thing with Ailith at one point, a role play log of sorts.
I think its a good idea Lady Dawn, and I support it.
[/quote]

On that pregnancy thing we are definetly on the same side, I am not fond of it either and I definetly dont intend to get any of my chars pregnant. I have 3 kids in real life and I most definetly dont want any of my chars have them.

But this again is not a topic to discus if pregnancy and similar things are apropriate for this game or not. There are players that role-play it, and they are not only noobs but some of "oh so praised" veteran players also, heck, didnt they actualy started it? And who actualy had the first relationship going on in MD?

If we want good role-play going on then we should most definetly find out what that good role-play is. That would help the noobs. And personal good taste has almost nothing with it. A solution to that is actualy in veteran players, those of them who actualy are recognized as good rolle players. Get your keybord dusted out and set out on a mission to teach us ignorant and stupid noobs how it is done instead of "sleeping" in whatever corner you put your bunk in. It will give you something to do, and we puny little noobs will feel slightly more apreciated. The resoult of that = veterans who are not just sleeping on what they achived and "educated" noobs. Yey!

But again, what a good role-play is is not a discusion in here.

Thanks Amoran. It would be definetly nice to see this idea grow out of its dipers into something that would actualy be useful, so if you have any other thought on how to do it, please, do feel free to enlighten us. :))

So again, this was ONLY an idea that I got when I run out of cookies and I do have few othes also, but they are way more drastic and I am preaty sure that mentioning it would put me straight on the fires while the angy crowd would cheer: "Burn, baby, burn!" and at this point, I am not yet so cold. Will have to wait for the next winter if some of you dont start your creative juices flowing.

In any case, I am sorry, if you found the idea stupid, but heck, at least is the idea instead of general crying that we are witnessing around when people dont have any idea on what to do at all. I like MD and I care for its comunity, if that is a crime, then I will be gladly accept any punishement.

Thank you.

Dawn, I agree that MD is needing something like a Gossip Page or a Yellow Page. Considering as how the Golden Globe Gazette hasn't been running, due to low material to work on that is important, I was greatly confused after my 8 month hibernation from MD. Thus, a Yellow Page would be much appreciated. Also, when one is trying to find a conversation to join and they get a lead, they can only get there when it's after their work shift 9 hours later in real life, thus, they already lost the conversation/gossip. There are a few gossipers out there, and if the game itself had a Gossip Page, it would be quite useful, especially if the person who started the gossip remains anonymous. Granted, some role-plays should be kept OUT of the game. I only have one alternate account, and I don't plan on letting that one spin off to go and woo women into a dark alley or something.

Anyway, all I'm saying is this is a great idea. I support it and I hope Mur will see this and possibly develop a code or something for it. Best of luck.