Draw a mandala

'Evening!

I hear there's a scholarly interest in the lands of Marind Bell, pertaining to mandalas - some SoE members are quite interested in that imagery with 'cosmic'  or 'absolute' meanings. What that means is, there's ways to make money! Or get some anniversary creatures and bonuses.

SoE will pay a hefty sum for a mandala with MD symbolism, but it must be within standards (hence they will judge the submissions) AND all rights to that imagery will transfer to said alliance. As for the manner of presentation, it can be drawn on paper, digitally created, or even crafted. Feel free to submit it to me (Ungod) or post it in this thread - winning submissions have the chance of remaining anonymous. Ah, the deadline? Until the end of this month.

So let's get down to business - what hefty price are we talking about? 1st place gets an anniv crit and 1 goldenavitoken, 2nd 1 anniv crit (and 1 gold if SoE wants to acquire the rights*), 3rd 1 anniv crit (and 1 gold if SoE wants to acquire the rights). 

*Disclaimer: if SoE decides to acquire the rights for that mandala, you can't refuse

What? That's not enough? That's the offer, take it or leave it. This scholarly interest is only in bud; who knows, it might be more profitable in the future...

(a little help for those confused by the many types of mandalas:

Spoiler

although a square, the basic structure of what we call today a mandala is a central figure/letter and concentric elements

the central figure can be a god - surrounded by lesser gods and words or geometric forms and maybe words

the central figure can be a letter/word - in a web of geometric forms, usually

the central figure can be a location, such as a temple - surrounded by gods or writing

I have yet to determine the original mandalas; what's certain is that actual locations such as temple complexes were stylized until they became geometric forms, lines etc; it could very well be that the first mandalas were depicting the location of a god/worshipping places

either way, choosing whatever symbolism you want, create a MagicDuel mandala)

On 4/8/2021 at 10:43 PM, Ungod said:

Ah, the deadline? Until the end of this month.

It might be kind of rushed (3 weeks), especially if one is not familiar with it (but then again, I'm not either, I've only acquired a few books I'll read when I get time for that). 

but hey, for a relatable MD mandala, I think inspiration is key, so it's doable, imo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And this contest is officially closed!

We thank the participants, but SoE shall withhold from acquiring any submissions, as their level is still entry-level. Mandalas are more or less foreign to the West (maybe foreign is not the word, since we've transformed them), so it's hard to get the aesthetics down; this is also the reason Poppi Chullo is the winner of this competition!

However, they can quickly become an acquired taste, so because I hope they've sparked an interest, the 3 entries will be rewarded handsomely. Congratulations!

(I shall post none of the submissions, but if you are interested in mandalas and the imagery MD players used in theirs, pm me! a genuine interest will be granted access)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By Demonic God
      As you can tell from... the Darvin quest, I am a bit obsessed with Advanced Aramors!
      So, as part of an experiment, I would love to craft Aramors that are capable of doing more, on their own. To that end, I'd love to start with making Aramors that can, for now, participate in simple games of Rock Paper Scissors!
      Your goal for this quest, would be to aid me in making such a creation. Specifically, I ask for you to design a strategy, one that is unambiguous and non randomized. Something that an Aramor can be programmed with!
      Your strategy will compete with others in a tournament. The rules for the tournament is as follow:
      Every strategy will compete with every other strategy Each duel will last until one side receive 3 10 wins. If it is mathematically impossible exceeds 500 draws, both side receives a loss it's considered a draw. This was added because the 500 draws checker got tripped... a lot. The worst strategy will be eliminated after every duel has happened. This will repeat with the surviving strategies until one emerge victorious The worst strategy would be evaluated with the following criteria: Least wins Most losses Lose against strategies with similar win/loss (i.e if A has 2 wins and 5 losses, and B also has 2 wins and 5 losses, and B lost against A, then B is eliminated) If the above criteria fail to select a single loser, all of them would be eliminated The tournament will repeat without the winner(s) until all prizes are filled The rules for strategies are as follow:
      Your goal is to design a strategy, to participate in a tournament of rock, paper, scissors! Your strategy must not be random and must cover all scenarios. Your strategy is not limited to the game itself. It can adapt to the round it's on, the opponent, etc. Possible strategy includes: Always choose rock If there is less than 3 participant left, always choose rock If opponent is Aia, always choose rock Cooperation is not only allowed, it is welcomed. You are free to rig matches as you please. Rewards
      1st - Anniversary creature. A choice between a colored pope, and a colored elemental, courtesy of Lady @Aia del Mana 2nd - Anniversary creature. A colored pope or elemental, whichever remains after the winner had their pick 3rd -  Anniversary creature. Deadline:
      I wish to wrap up the competition as soon as everyone who wish to join had done so. Thus, there would be two deadlines:
      Hard deadline: End of anniversary + 3 days. Soft deadline: 9 days (April 21st) from now. After this date, I will begin judging as soon as everyone who had announced their participant has submitted their strategy. You may join in after the soft deadline, as long as judging has not begun. Soft deadline is meant to avoid unnecessary waiting.
    • By Granos
      Since nobody has posted anything I figured I would as today and tomorrow were suggested. Perhaps delaying a bit more to garner more interest may be needed. What server times work best for everyone. Personally I feel that 22:00 server time may work well.

As for nominations:
      Mag and Aia are deserving of some recognition.

Please suggest more times so we can come to a consensus for the ideal time.
      Please suggest more people for medals try to include which ones. 
    • By Demonic God
      The other day, I headed to the Golemus Laboratory, for some experimentation. Tinkering around, messing with the Aramors to-be-filled with AI cores.
      Alas, such work is boring! So boring indeed, that half way through, as my attention span dictate... I decided to make a very, very bouncy ball. A drop of blood, glue, rare minerals... and Voila!
      Throwing this thing in open space, would be unwise. Not that it would do any damages, but I prefer to not lose my shiny possessions. So, I had a small room built, and gave it a throw. Alas... I did not expect it to bounce so vigorously, the damn thing bounced so well, catching it would be impossible! As I ponder upon this dilemma, miraculously, the ball bounced straight back at me. Damn thing almost broke a tooth of mine, but I did managed to catch it. Impressed by this outcome, I laid down my pen and paper, and begins working out, how exactly did the ball bounce back to exactly where I was? And how many times, did that damn thing bounced around?
      So, I ask for your help, to determine the numbers of bounces the ball made. Here are the details of how it all went down - according to my memory:
      The ball somehow ignored gravity, and flew parallel to the ground at all times I started at the South-West corner of the room The ball was thrown perfectly North-East. (45 degree) The room is almost a square, of dimension 2020 cm x 2021 cm. I fully intend to sue the contractor for this error. Summarized in mathematical terms:
      You throw a perfectly bouncy ball in a rectangle (2020 x 2021) room from a corner The ball was thrown at a 45 degree angle The ball ignored gravity, and flew parallel to the ground at all time How many bounces did the ball make before it return to your location? Rewards:
      Most elegant solution - 1 Anni crit Most creative/unorthodox solution - 1 Anni crit Fastest correct solution - 1 GC All correct solutions - 5SC + 1 spell stone Lock in chaos Acoustic Remains Teleport to Papercabin
    • By Ungod
      I'll take this opportunity to warmly welcome all to Marind Bell, where for the next couple days you will be able to listen to minstrels singing about love and war (a.k.a. I will be posting link to various music pieces with the theme knights&maidens). I encourage visiting the more secluded areas.
      Love and battles. Epic battles, battles of dominance, battles of attrition, battles of retribution. Fiery love, withering love, useful love, used love. In this theme is the following riddle/puzzle, entirely a forum quest (hence the submissions will be by forum PM, to yours truly). Fastest correct answers win, and the prize pool is: 1g5s+anniv creature for 1st correct solution, 1g for 2nd, 5sc for 3rd. (you'll find the riddle quite easy):
      There is this tale I heard, a tale
      about a growing man
      who fends off heathen belief.
      A troll with hair of golden sheen
      smitten with this Christian youth
      besought him to endear her.
      He dared not approach her, in spite
      of nature's laws, despite her charm
      for he was Christian and she - a troll.
      He stared at the wooden cross
      heavy in his arm, preoccupied.
      His fate was questioned, and he uttered.
      'Begone', he said, and wail she did
      and ran away, cursing her fate
      for surely even trolls do understand -
      delivery's in God, in God Almighty.
      The bald priest smirked and gave a cry
      The light, and God, be given praise!
      This village, as the rest, will bathe in it.
      This tale shall be sung, for we will
      write it down for ages to come.
      What better way to reinforce our faith?!
      Herr Mannelig, the valiant knight of God,
      whose light is everreaching and all-wise,
      defeating the dark arts of trolls!
      And so the tale shall be woven
      And priests looked out for ink
      And priests took out young vellum

(deadline is until the end of the anniv)
    • By Ungod
      There's this knight who was asked by his beloved to bring her a proof of his love that he so ardently confessed - his mother's heart. What would be his choice?
      We're going to try to solve this dilemma in an experimental quest in which the knight goes through a number of rooms until he can reach the quarters of his mother. At any point, the dilemma can be solved, except for the final room. All participants (not attendees) will get an anniv creature as prize if the knight finds his answer or a consolation prize of 1 g if it is not answered. To make it clear, he must find the correct answer that nullifies any possible doubts to its veracity. That is, the dilemma is no more.
      Each room shall contain a special object to help stir thoughts, as well as a large mirror (played by me) which will reflect some thoughts back. The participants will throw their take on it, one by one, representing the endless thoughts of the knight faced with such trouble.
      This is similar to a play discussing morals and morality, only you are the actors in an impromptu play; we should get to the bottom of those sticky morality rules here...
      My greatest concern is when we can find a time to all be there, so I was thinking about this Friday evening. Other times that seem to be fine with you (folks that are interested)?