Sign in to follow this  
envy

Heads Game - ranting and opinions

I found my first heads contest to be completely disruptive. I hate going to sanctuary to regen and finding myself under attack because the game gave me heads. Worse is when MP4 attack with overwhelming strength so they get a win, but not a victory. The heads don't go away, but I get repeatedly pulped and cannot recover. If I could have thrown away or given away the heads I would have. For those who need random senseless violence, fine let them have it, but it's not why I play this game. I've avoided all other PvP games for years and the heads contest merely serves to remind me why and wonder what I saw in MagicDuel in the first place.

Paradoxically I did enjoy the contest with my MP3 character. She quite surprisingly did a lot better than I expected. However, there are so many high level MP4's and MP5's masquerading as MP3's that there was no chance a real MP3 (a newcomer to the game) had any chance of winning. This just somehow does not seem right, but that's the way that powers that be want it -- and so it shall be.

Another reason I'm opposed to the heads game.

I got attacked by DarkElfMage and his 2 healers and my water here are the results

*** Combat details (under construction). 'E' is defender, 'A' is attacker

Your honor reward for this battle: 0

Your loyalty reward for this battle: 0

Enemy honor reward for this battle: 26

Enemy loyalty reward for this battle: 0

*** todo help after fight

Casualties: Defender:-68.0879%, Attacker:-203.030%

heat A: 19 heat E: 43

logsize:677

usevitality e (you):50

usevitality a:100

looser:E

actionnr:120

rounds:30

E lost: -1022vit; A lost: -402vit;

and he took my 470 heads from me but it wasn't even a Victorious Win like it says in the directions of the contest.

Yes i would like an opt out button as the heads contest lost its 'fun' when it went from individuals competing against each other to tag teams lol

My only beef with the contest is please make a list of what is allowed as hiding places I have heard from various people different things some say passage of war is ok to be others have told me its not and who knows for a fact where it is allowed to be at and where isnt. And also a list of people who have the correct knowledge of the rules for the CURRENT heads game because I ve heard some places werent allowed in other games but are allowed in other trophy games.

I do support the idea of dropping heads too.

i am rather shocked at everyone here

if you dont want to participate find someone who wants to and make an easy ritual fo them to beat

problem solved

if you do want to participate have fun

LEARN TO BETTER PREPARE DEFENSES

that will save you more often than not

It not the game itself, it's the way it's played. It's annoying. I don't want to be attacked, that's the reason I want an opt out button. I want 0 heads at all times. If you log out, you should lose your heads. Then you wouldn't get attack, log out, sign in and attack, move 1 space log out. sign in again, attack move 1 space, it gets really annoying trying to win back heads from someone who plays 2 seconds at a time.

i am rather shocked at everyone here

if you dont want to participate find someone who wants to and make an easy ritual fo them to beat

problem solved

if you do want to participate have fun

LEARN TO BETTER PREPARE DEFENSES

that will save you more often than not

That's not the point. Being a game it should offer people the option to participate in that or not to. It doesn't do that. To tell us to deal with it and just "get rid of them" isn't a productive way with dealing with this complaint/desire to change a feature of the game.

Aside from the fact that doing what you say takes time and often isn't something you have in your mind. For example coming back on in a sanctuary, having more than 7 heads and being immediately attacked before being able to do anything.

As has already been mentioned, for those that do not want to participate it is simply disruptive and annoying. You have to take time out of your "regular" MD schedule to either get rid of the heads in a quick and painful way, or you are being attacked left and right and need MORE time to recuperate. Aside from the fact that finding healing rituals is even more difficult than normal.

I'm gald to see so many different opinions on the heads game.

Why does there have to be so many heads in the game? If you don't want to play you have 3 days before the contest starts to click a checkbox that says (not participating in this heads game), the script Manu writes stores your information and when the game starts you are not in the game.

If you only log in once a week, then you may have missed the opportunity to opt out of the starting heads game and now you get stuck playing. I started to like the idea of having an option to release heads. How about when you release heads they go to your Adepts (distributed equally to all your adepts), if you don't have adepts they randomly appear throughout the game and first one who sees them along the road in that scene can pick them up and run with them. Actually, that idea may cause too much extra scripting for Manu but you can always have the heads release to another mp level or to your whoever you chose within the first 24 hours of the heads game starting. After the first 24 hours you can only lose them by the normal way of getting beat.

envy you are reading my mind, yesterday night i was think about the same think and wanted to open topic next day, when today i see it is already opened, heads game also annoys me too, i just keep getting attacked, i need wins, a lots of and if i win 5 times, and i get some heads after it, then i got reaped by 10 more losses :P then i get to sanctuary to heal myself, and guess what, i got 8 heads from nowhere and get killed again, i just cant play normally

I'd like to add my 2 cents on this Heads Contest...

I'm one of those that does NOT like the Heads Contest (HC).

After reading all the posts here... I understand that many like the HC and many don't. But I cannot agree more that any 'contest' should be optional. It seems that there is a window of opportunity to opt out, but only if you log in during that certain time frame. But if you are a once a week player like myself... you probably miss that and are then, again, stuck playing a contest for which you have absolutely no interest. Why not code the option to play the HC based on a players log in. When they log in, automatically prompt them, "Do you want to play the Heads Contest?" ... Yes or No?

Give me the option. I may one day decide that I would like to try it and see. I enjoy PVP (I play PVP alot in World of Warcraft). But right now... I've stopped playing MD for the past month... because of the HC. This may sound like an immature reaction and I'm certain no one missed me... but I was so incredibly angry at being forced to play this contest and the results of that.

What I mean is this... I work on the road... and sometimes I try to play while I'm at work. Many times, I get side tracked with work and forget or don't have time to click the log out button. So my MD account goes idle. During a HC and my account is idle, I'm still accruing heads and, even in sactuary, I'm being fought. As a new player... I'm still trying to learn the ropes... my win/loss count was 102/102... exactly where I wanted to be and I tried very hard to maintain that balance.

But... and here is where/why I got angry enough to walk away from the game for a month... I log in a day or two later... and my win/loss went to 105/263... yes... 105/2-60-&%$^#&* 3.... I've been in sanctuary... and beaten more times then then I've won by more than 100%... HOLY COW!!! At this point... I have no reason to believe I can recover from that ratio and bring it back into balance. All this because I was 'forced' to participate in a contest that I have, to this point, no interest in competing. I was so angry... was livid... so I've stopped playing... period.

I have, only yesterday, logged back in and at least regenerated my creatures... I have no desire at this point to fight or learn anything else. I'm new enough as it is, I don't need this kind of frustration. I'm not certain if I'm going to give MD another chance. I'm still rather upset about my win/loss ratio and not certain if I want to even try to fix it... I might be better just restarting.

Regardless of what I do (I'm just one person and will hardly be missed)... the point behind this is,

1) Contests should be Optional

2) Give an Opt Out option during log-in (3 days prior and during the contest duration).

Remember... the title to this thread is 'ranting and opinions'... here is my rant.

oooo my 2 cents... mp3's shouldn't have a heads contest... problem solved. mp4's and mp5's should know how to avoid the contest if they don't wanna participate. If you dont then ask someone that does. Also the faster regen would make it harder to catch the head leaders so i would disagree with that.

I am experiencing my first heads contest atm and so far I strongly dislike it, at the very least make it optional and give every player the opportunity to enter or skip the contest.

I kinda like RJ's suggestion about MP3 contest being Done Away with, especially since the Contest is so Different at MP4 and MP5 with the more Complex Win/Loss system.

I'd also like to point out that I'm a bit peeved the New Rewards seem far Greater than what I got for Winning (though I did Win at MP3 :))

Possibly there could be one place that is open only for people who have no desire to be in the head contest. The place could function like a normal sanctuary, and once you go in you can't be attacked, but after you've gone in you're character is treated as though you've already won the contest once (and can't win again). That way, people who don't want to participate have a place they can be and not worry, and it wouldn't take away from everyone else's experience by getting rid of heads or providing safe places or anything. This wouldn't solve the combat issue, but at least people could log on and upgrade creatures and have a place to heal without getting killed.

That would be a Huge pain to Program, if Possible....

Mur has made it clear that in many Ways he wants the Contest to be Unfair, and to challenge all players a bit. The best thing to do is always make sure you have a few Dummy Defenses up that will Ward off Unwanted attacks.

Another Idea is to Log out in an Out of way Place. I Tend to Log out in my Study in the Hall of the Sun Balcony, and I'm very Rarely Disturbed up there, I have to come down to MB if I want to loss my heads.

[quote name='TheNinjunny' post='17595' date='Oct 1 2008, 08:51 PM']Mur has made it clear that in many Ways he wants the Contest to be Unfair.[/quote]

I don't see how creating an unfair contest could be desirable.

It is unfair and I love it. Because is forcing me to redefineand reredefine what fair is :_)

Big time Looser
Yours,
Gg de la Severin

the whole idea about the contest in the first place was to see how people can beat the game, if it was a fair contest where everyone has the same chances, no one would bother and try to find a way to trick the game and in that way find it's possible bugs, it was just another way of comparing your stragety that happens once a month xD
in the way it is, some people will always dislike it (I hate the contest because the heads i gather when training my creatures give me negative stats), but the few who are pushing the game beyond it's normal borders love it, because winning a head contest is the price you can earn for finding a bug!
example: find a bug that gives you endless action points and you will win the contest because nobody can ever catch you. Find a bug in the battle mechanics to trick the game so that it thinks your battle was victorious even if it wasn't and you'll gather heads faster. There are loads of possible bugs round here, the game is still developing :blink:
And of course someone will notice how a normal player with normal monsters and an easy-to-beat defence at once wins the contest, and the bug will be cleaned (or not, some bugs are known since i started here, but they are so cool that they are still used :D)

so, if you don't like the unfair contest, leave it, there are always people who will be glad to get some heads for free, but don't try to make the contest fair, it wouldn't work if it was fair^^

I do like the heads contest... in some ways...

Sometimes a bit bothersome when you don't want to participate but then I would go to somewhere secluded to prevent someone attacking me.

Well... How fun you think the heads contest is based on opinion : /

EDIT: Oh BTW, if the contest is fair, it would lose its purpose :blink:

Its all cool having a button to turn it off but asking if you wanna participate and restraining people who enter HC and others that do not have it would be bad,an example would be when im hunting and end up with low vit i kill people with no heads to heal myself,maybe the button thing would only work for people in sanctuaries you choose not to participate then if you ever kill someone with heads you dont get them or it would just make all your heads generate at another person who wants to play,remember even if its heads game there is no place safe,only in sanctuaries and they should change that for people who dont want play hc.

Edit: Excuse me burns but i do not think its allowed to ue bugs this isnt the unfairness that everyone talks about,this is exploiting something that is prohibited,and you can see in others post that doing this intentional get punished,i dont remember the player name but he's quite famous he didnt knew he was exploiting a bug he had absurd skills and used quite for some time thinking it was something natural(this my friend is different,there is no intention to harm the fun)

The unfairness that everyones talks about is the very struggle about older X new players and alliances X non alliances,and all this makes the HC balanced and fun.(actually if it wasnt for the HC i wouldnt have evolved soo much my skills when i started the game all i wanted was sure wins now im fighting people with the double vit i have and still wins,HC and this game is most about knowing how each monster interacts with the other,its about reading the log and guessing).

You know what? I'm sick of you all complaining about HC. I complaind about RP but then I stopped because RP is a part of the game.I got over it. But not you! No way! You want to have a button to run like cowards from a part of the game. I hope Mur will never make such a button. And if he does I will still attack all of you no matter if you have heads or not. So stop whining!
And what if I use bugs? It's my right. I found them and I am going to use them. And believe me that I haven't used them at full potential.

That's the way dst^^
Treehill, it says in the rules that one may exploit any bug he /she finds as long as it's reported to the admins once you are sure you found one, and if they don't think that the bug is too unfair, they will leave it and you can exploit it as much as you want xD

And the head contest is THE way to get something for finding bugs, i don't think there are rewards just for reporting them :D
I don't want to say that it's not about older players and allies, you have huge advantages if you know the strategies or can only be attacked only once per hour, but you have even greater advantages if you find a rit that can't be killed victorious as nobody can take all your heads, don't you? :P
(btw: no, i don't think that there's something like that, but i think dst could find one ROFL)

I cant bother reading everything atm...but i just want to say THE HEADS ARE GREAT XD

Its fun:P

What is the heads contest?
Well thats simple, its the most unfair, disadvantaged contest of MD. The only way you can win it is if your cunning, sneaky, fast, and one another key role that plays in...team work. Although this usually ends in....backstabings...

I go solo, solo is fun:)

MR-6