Chewett

How do you see taming?

@John Constantine the problem with this, while i do agree with parts of it, is that it doesnt relate to what the skill actually does. if the skill was referring to recruiting creatures, and that's how you gained it, then yes, but it's not.

20 hours ago, Nava said:

A slave does not defy their master.  To be enslaved is to do the opposite.  If you enslave that which is within, then you're enslaving yourself.

as mago says, a slave doesnt defy because it's accepted it cannot, given the chance they will choose otherwise, if they are of sound mind. but also as above, the concept of slavery in any form isn't really relavent to the topic at hand.

the skill itself comes from the act of taking or collecting resources from the creature, and the name of it should reflect this action, it's a little strange that it doesn't really reflect the nature of the skill or provide any accurate hints/clues as to what you would do to actually gain it.

2 hours ago, MaGoHi said:

a slave can defy its master, just pretending to be loyal until a chance for freedom arrives

This gives me hope where paranoia once lay.

Taming concept is an insult just by naming it ... "tame".

The results of "tame" concept are based on loyalty and love (applicable to animal, mammal and even human).

So, calling a creature "tame" is an insult. You'd better call it slave.

On the other hand, if you call "tame" a wild animal who leaves near man then you are wrong. That is no "tame" is "broken", "beaten", "lost" or "caged".

A being doesn't need to be insulted by being called "tamed" but it needs to be loved , it need loyalty and to be "cared for" ... aka it needs your attention.

If you are asking about "taming" as MD skill ... you should ask if the naming is appropriate or not.

From my point of view "taming" should be called "loyalty" as in "returned loyalty" toward our own creatures.

I agree with No one, that taming can have a negative, almost condescending connotation.

What about Symbiosis as a name?

The creatures are made from us or someone else, so they can be both internal and external. While they are with us they both give and take from us. As Lintara states, some give us external items, and as Azull told me last night some consume external items. 

From what I understand so far, they seem to be able to be either a part of us or separate, but either way we exist together. Some creatures may even be kept for sentimental reasons (I am never letting go of my first creature, my aramor, because they represent my first days here), but sentiment does not always have to be attributed. The concept might be able to include all forms of transactional relationship.

In terms of symbiosis, it seems like our relationship with the creatures could fit into any of the three types, depending on the type of creature and what how we interact with it. 

I thought for an icon a warped "recycling" icon as the relationship never seems to end fully:

Symbiosis.png.26bfee3c57aff4deb4045244da418631.png

Spoiler

DISCLAIMER: If this is a simplistic / ignorant suggestion, please ignore this post!

54 minutes ago, Josephine said:

Hide contents

DISCLAIMER: If this is a simplistic / ignorant suggestion, please ignore this post!

No such thing, not here in MD.

Everyones ideas and perspective hold weight in this world.

Edited by Fang Archbane

17 hours ago, No one said:

Taming concept is an insult just by naming it ... "tame".

A being doesn't need to be insulted by being called "tamed" but it needs to be loved , it need loyalty and to be "cared for" …  aka it needs your attention.

no one is being sensitive and sensible in this post (not villainous at all, mind you)

'cuz yeah, you tame the wild and make it yours, but I thought this is appropriate for MD crits - they're aspects of your mind that need tamed, no? (the mind that defeats the mind)

Maybe this skill is not about "taming the creatures” but it’s about taming our ego, our minds and fears…etc to get along/interact with all kind of creatures in the realm?