Muratus del Mur

worst thing about Mur

Just keep it as it was I like that the feature come random. That is one thing I really like from MD.
This could be seen as very conservative, but please do not change that much because of this. We are humans so why strive for perfection. I see MD as a roguelike, so bad and good things happen and that is good. Principal of balance anyone? I and most of the people dislike features that have a downside effect on ourselves, like by giving others things and others get nothing. But hey their roles also affect MD so we as a whole will get something from it in the long term.
Just like the coming with Eon some dislike his presence, I guess. But it is way better to see it as anew challenge we can/must face. So I am for a more challenging MD not a boring one in which everything is perfectly balanced.
So please do not change anything. :)
And mur why this sudden urge of progressiveness? Edited by rikstar

Mur you should play MD on another account and not tell anyone that you are yourself. Maybe even fake a flag so that nobody even gets a tiny hint.

From there decide if you want to play MD as "Baby Mur the Alt of Mur that is Certainly not Mur".

Mur you should play MD on another account and not tell anyone that you are yourself. Maybe even fake a flag so that nobody even gets a tiny hint.

From there decide if you want to play MD as "Baby Mur the Alt of Mur that is Certainly not Mur".

He has done that before, and iv suggested he do it again numerous times.

I even offered him my most secret alt to utilize.

it was fun indeed.. i even got a public "thank you" for my help within the community..lol..awesomenessss.. i must say that what stopped my from continuing it was that at some point i disclosed its identity to the back then newly formed council...i thought it wont affect me but...anyway, i was inactive long before that..but it was great experience :D

some of the features you all "enjoy" now were done initially to help me hide that identity..like the custom/fake flags, purchase credits for someone else and things like that..it was fun..i miss it.. ha :) .. one day i might do it again, but you will not know it :D (I STILL DONT THINK I COULD HIDE FROM WOOKIE MAGIC)

So... some say doing favors is my worst part, some say i should continue doing it... would be interesting to know if those that said this is my worst part also meant i should STOP doing it...because now that i think of it, you forgot to mention that.

i wont leave md running in panic and crying..lol no..but i intend to either be more distant and let others, like council (or public council) to play around and give away things i do, OR to come back even more wild and brainless and do things my own way, with reasons i wont bother to explain (but i insist i DO have reasons)..and upgrade the mur effect to its next level....

OR to come back even more wild and brainless and do things my own way, with reasons i wont bother to explain (but i insist i DO have reasons)..and upgrade the mur effect to its next level....

I vote for that one

What's public council? Because I haven't seen it announced yet. Hint hint.

Reply to my email hint hint

Even better, you already did.

*waves hands* these aren't the secrets you are looking for

Ps auto post merging is both fun and makes me look crazy since it has not edit time

I think the Council, Public Council and Chewett should do things for MD as a whole, and Mur should go up a level and do things in a purely Murish way. Keep them separate, and label favors as favors. MD needs both of those aspects to truly be MD, in my opinion.

i believe this too

i had the illusion i am doing things wrong and i tried to figure out what it was, but i think the only thing i do wrong is that i am not doing any 'thing' i normally do, lately.

If it satisfies the general public to label them as favors then so be it

i started to explain my 'favors' in an atempt to justify my actions to you and to myself as well, but i realised that i am too able to find a good explenation to anything, and i stopped, because thats not the point in this self induced 'trial'. The point was that i was looking for a way to improve me so i can improve md, but if i keep md well being as priority, i can;t ignore the fact that i strongly believe what i did was good (mostly).

I will wait a while and obser the public council in action, this new turn of events might change things completely. My 'intuition' about md tells me that this is the sort of event that might cause a series of other events that will totally shift me out of feeling how md as a whole entity grows from now on, but i am also confident, despite my fears, that i have the needed brain tools to adapt back into this new string of events at any time. I might be overconfident, its true, but nothing can be worse than doing nothing, and its what i "did" for a very looong time.

You will not see a well behaving Mur that acts in democratic ways..or i will need to change my name, and my 'title' for that....and i don't exclude that possibility to be honest, but i consider it highly unlikely. Will depend on the new council, in a way i don't know yet, but i know it will...somehow

I need to process all this info, and more..its not about the actual individual details or individual posts in here, its about translating all this into a feeling, compare it to the "errors" i find in my own behaviour and judgement, and then compare it to the personality of md ...many variables and ..colors. This in the end will lead to an unavoidable change in me, both mur and its human puppet :D

Also one more thing..i don't know if i put it like this or not..but it was always my intention to ""favor"" each one of you, but i had to do it in turns and wait for a suitable event to happen for each. Long ago i made this very clear when i asked you all to put your most desired wishes into your papers, remember? i did it many times. This method deviated because my focus deviated. If md is a painting and i (used to be) its artist, you are the colors i paint with. Requesting me to be more "fair" you are requesting me to paint md in black and white...well..md already puts a high value on color rarity in its design, that "color" needs to balance elsewhere, and it does in such unorthodox changes i did to one or the other. As md evolves, you get more and more ways to find your own "color" yourself, and when this will become eventually enough, i guarantee you i won't do what i do anymore because it won't be needed anymore. I will retire somewhere on a secondary role and act only in the areas where color is still impossible to achieve through game mechanics.

i believe this too

i had the illusion i am doing things wrong and i tried to figure out what it was, but i think the only thing i do wrong is that i am not doing any 'thing' i normally do, lately.

If it satisfies the general public to label them as favors then so be it

i started to explain my 'favors' in an atempt to justify my actions to you and to myself as well, but i realised that i am too able to find a good explenation to anything, and i stopped, because thats not the point in this self induced 'trial'. The point was that i was looking for a way to improve me so i can improve md, but if i keep md well being as priority, i can;t ignore the fact that i strongly believe what i did was good (mostly).

I will wait a while and obser the public council in action, this new turn of events might change things completely. My 'intuition' about md tells me that this is the sort of event that might cause a series of other events that will totally shift me out of feeling how md as a whole entity grows from now on, but i am also confident, despite my fears, that i have the needed brain tools to adapt back into this new string of events at any time. I might be overconfident, its true, but nothing can be worse than doing nothing, and its what i "did" for a very looong time.

You will not see a well behaving Mur that acts in democratic ways..or i will need to change my name, and my 'title' for that....and i don't exclude that possibility to be honest, but i consider it highly unlikely. Will depend on the new council, in a way i don't know yet, but i know it will...somehow

I need to process all this info, and more..its not about the actual individual details or individual posts in here, its about translating all this into a feeling, compare it to the "errors" i find in my own behaviour and judgement, and then compare it to the personality of md ...many variables and ..colors. This in the end will lead to an unavoidable change in me, both mur and its human puppet :D

Also one more thing..i don't know if i put it like this or not..but it was always my intention to ""favor"" each one of you, but i had to do it in turns and wait for a suitable event to happen for each. Long ago i made this very clear when i asked you all to put your most desired wishes into your papers, remember? i did it many times. This method deviated because my focus deviated. If md is a painting and i (used to be) its artist, you are the colors i paint with. Requesting me to be more "fair" you are requesting me to paint md in black and white...well..md already puts a high value on color rarity in its design, that "color" needs to balance elsewhere, and it does in such unorthodox changes i did to one or the other. As md evolves, you get more and more ways to find your own "color" yourself, and when this will become eventually enough, i guarantee you i won't do what i do anymore because it won't be needed anymore. I will retire somewhere on a secondary role and act only in the areas where color is still impossible to achieve through game mechanics.

Mur I call your last post a very good epilogue to this topic. I see that the universal principles are working all the time, constant change is one of them. 

Take or leave mine as I don't play anymore but those that really knew me I was mishadowst it was all about mystery and intrigue and SPOILERS were a huge no no back then the more you(mur) left the game itself and handed it over to others such as Calyx and morgananananana its pulled away from the mystery and now items and such its just turning into minecraft with endless pointless crap to do... rp has change but for the worse IMO 1and I also have to agree with the others saying you value WHO says what to you there were some ideas I tried to give you but were ignored but when the ideas came from others you ate it up...

I know this topic is long dead so now that it is 1:00 am here I can circumvent my better judgement and post in a near dead topic. Any ways the worst thing about magic duel is incomplete features which projects toward mur as lack of focus. To defend that I can bring to attention Chapter 2 of the story quest has been under construction or to be continued since at least 2009. Trading between lands has been all but abolished due to lack of mechanisms that full fill those needs. Also alliances that don't have enough players to be actually still be considered an alliance by MD standards live on (you can let them die and replace them with new ones). Although I love this game as a whole and like mur as a person(I have RPed with him once or twice). There is a lack of completion which seems both unprofessional and unpolished.

Please note I have read though this only a little bit mostly looking at murs comments as he seems to sum up the last flak attack so if this has been touched on before I am just here to enforce that. 

Adding some notes and asking some questions so I can get viewpoints :)

>>To defend that I can bring to attention Chapter 2 of the story quest has been under construction or to be continued since at least 2009.

Actually for a number of years now we have planned not to continue this, and this has been public knowledge for quite a while now. A25 is planned to replace the current story mode as an initial introduction to MD. I suggest you read up on it :)

>>Trading between lands has been all but abolished due to lack of mechanisms that full fill those needs.

Further explain?

>>Also alliances that don't have enough players to be actually still be considered an alliance by MD standards live on (you can let them die and replace them with new ones).

What would you do?

>>>Although I love this game as a whole and like mur as a person(I have RPed with him once or twice). There is a lack of completion which seems both unprofessional and unpolished.

Yes, Some of us have been working on a large feature set of "mostly complete" ideas and trying to finish them, but there is a lot so we need lots of time.

----

As for you Mur, I shall now comment: You have got stubborn and this I feel is a detriment when people try and show you other viewpoints, especially where you are wrong. Its not enough to state "well if im wrong then I shall accept the consequences and this is how its going to be done anyway", This cant be done now we have so many people working with MD :(

You have got stubborn and this I feel is a detriment when people try and show you other viewpoints, especially where you are wrong. Its not enough to state "well if im wrong then I shall accept the consequences and this is how its going to be done anyway", This cant be done now we have so many people working with MD :(

AMEN!

O.K. now that my cognitive abilities are fresh I will try to explain farther.

Now considering chapter 2 I think we should make it clear that it is not going to continue. Considering I haven't been around for a while (we where just beginning to talk about it when I left last) it might be a good idea to make it clear in the game world. Under construction or to be continued may confuse new players. One of the things we need to work on is not just bringing in new players but retaining them. That is why there is always a vet in the paper cabin (or should be in the paper cabin).

As for trading between lands that has been a failed attempt at creating what I think was meant to be a diplomatic tool. The GG lands as far as I can tell have made no trades and MB has made at most a couple with lore root and necro as far as I can tell there are none. More trades could be induced by tools able to change there loyalty requirements to a different lands. I think in the past during the introduction of this feature there was talk of allowing lands to attack and plunder other lands for tools.

As for alliances I don't really think they are fulfilling there purpose. An alliance has been in the past a way to actually get a home land now there is citizenship. Relax now I am not suggesting the abolishment of having a citizenship. I don't really have any particular draw to a any alliance so if I ever want a home land it will be simple citizenship not an alliance addition.Back to alliances they no longer have fear of loss of alliance or being a more powerful alliance does not have any major awards or advantages. When I used to create clans in other games there was always that drive to do better or in the beginning just get enough members in order to allow it to work autonomously in my absence. 

Alliances here I understand are different they are power positions that fulfil a need. Example would be water dowsers control Marnid bells water supply and wood cutters control Loreroots wood supply and caretakers are a RP alliance that make sure the rarely visited east lands are maintained. When a alliance starts to fall apart it no longer has enough members in order to it to be considered an alliance and thus no longer full fills its purpose. When a alliances need is abolished due to people leaving and becoming independents the alliance should be dissolved since they no longer fulfil what they where created for.

A cruel but good example would be putting down a horse that no longer races and replacing it with one that does.

These dissolved alliances should be able to be reformed but if they no longer have the ability to fulfil there need there is no need to have them and the fear of being dissolved would keep them trying to keep a quota of members that would allow them to preform.

That is how I see it at least.

Its great to actually see you make a semi-formal complaint Chewy. You usually very reserved in that category.

>>>Now considering chapter 2 I think we should make it clear that it is not going to continue. Considering I haven't been around for a while (we where just beginning to talk about it when I left last) it might be a good idea to make it clear in the game world. Under construction or to be continued may confuse new players. One of the things we need to work on is not just bringing in new players but retaining them. That is why there is always a vet in the paper cabin (or should be in the paper cabin).

You should be able to ask any LHO (at least) when Chp3 is coming out and they will be able to tell you what the plans are. A25 is planning to fix the tutorial and such.

>>>As for trading between lands that has been a failed attempt at creating what I think was meant to be a diplomatic tool. The GG lands as far as I can tell have made no trades and MB has made at most a couple with lore root and necro as far as I can tell there are none. More trades could be induced by tools able to change there loyalty requirements to a different lands. I think in the past during the introduction of this feature there was talk of allowing lands to attack and plunder other lands for tools.

Im still not sure what you mean here. Please clarify? Trading what? resources, tools, items?

---

This needs to be split.

lolcat sorry to revive a topic that's been inactive for quite some time...

I've not been around for years so my perspective is definitely outdated, irrelevant and of little utility. And I haven't really even bothered to poke around in MD to get a sense of how it's departed from when I last played. Things have changed so much it takes far too much commitment to begin to make sense of what the game is about now. That said, Mur/Manu was a figure I spent a great deal of mental energies on at a certain point in time so reading this thread prompted some sentiments I wanted to express. I always got the most satisfaction out of expressing myself on the forums after all..

Manu is CHAOS... no balance to be found there except for the random equilibrium (natural balance) that emerges from chaos.

But while it's true natural equilibrium can emerge from chaos, Manu is such a destabilizing force that no balance may be maintained in his virtual world/creation. Instead just a vortex that keeps spinning and accruing debris until it can no longer be maintained because it has grown too unwieldy. There is some merit to chaos because that's the source of creation and evolution, but without balance and equilibrium things will not progress into a higher order form (organization) but rather just always be in a state of change, which is its own form of stasis. Wow, am I just stroking his ego or what.

Mur is a mad genius, as many people have said, someone who will be endlessly inventing and never to finish a single feature. Now that I've let go of my attachments to MD, this doesn't harm me nearly as much as it did. When I played the game I loved it for the world I was able to discover when first playing it. It's a crushing disappointment when you realize those features you were so excited and inspired by would never be fully actualized. I was so invested, I insisted many times with pleas and tantrums that the way Mur manages his world be changed to suit my own vision (but felt powerless because he was indifferent). He was indifferent because it would not be possible for him to change his development style. Now that I've let go, I can see he will never change: being an inventor, a free agent and unable to commit is who he is. I can't imagine him changing from my own mind. If you are going to play MD, you must be resigned that nothing you see will be completed--you must prefer a world that is always changing rather than one that is developed sanely.

That said. Magicduel is really magical because it is creative, and that creativity comes from Manu's mystifying mind (I mean.. principles? Marion or whatever the girl's name was? Cubes and dark fantasy drawings?). It wouldn't be the world it is without him. That is, no one else could even create Magicduel.. so it's not my place to criticize that it couldn't be what I wanted it to be. I wouldn't even have the basis for my vision for a game like MD without him having created what Magicduel is.

I don't begrudge Manu any more, having let go of my attachments; in fact I rather respect him. Well I always did, but scared, craving his attention and approval in the past while disapproving of his blatant 'mismanagement' and wishing he would change the way he did things. Now I've accepted who he is.

Virtual worlds will always come to an eventual demise. I'm also resigned to that. It's a testament to Manu's drive and endless creativity that MD has lasted as long as it has. When I quit, I predicted it would die within 2-3 years--4-5 years at the most. I think it's been longer than that, maybe six years, and still has a pulse to it. But even if it were to die within another year or so--current players may be heartbroken, but I still think MD was fascinating and worthy just for its existence.

Nevertheless, I am really curious what Magicduel could be like if someone were to duplicate the game--steal all of the ideas that Manu came up with, and decided to fully develop them in a sane, orderly fashion. If it were possible, I would wish that it would be done if only to satisfy my curiosity. a MD v. 2 while the current MD continues to aggregrate change, sprawling towards its eventual demise.

Also... stagnation of the community is when the world will really die. But that happens when the world can no longer maintain a crucial mass of players invested in it. Maybe MD will last for many more decades in this way, we will see...

Edited by Glaistig