Muratus del Mur

worst thing about Mur

And this is why i said the topic is a farce, becuase i could see the results, and knew mur would quit.

Great, one brilliant mind, friend and coder down. MD is on the quicker path to death now unless the community stands up.

You give up? I refuse. I do not accept your resignation, nor will i hear another word of it.

i guess this topic ended now, that all focus shifted on the favoritism part.

i shall take note of all your comments and critical observatios, and i thank you for them

i must say one thing you managed to do, convinced me even more that md has evolved to something different than i was aware of. like any parent that watches his kid grow, at some poit i need to realise my position in this vommunity and simply give up. my ONLY advantage over any of you is in my view my intuition about md future, yet this is something that is nowdys totally not respected and un valued. i am still a good programmer at times, but chew is better, rendril was better too...dude2 will take over in time if he keeps the good work........anyway... i shall read all your posts one more time soon, just for my awareness of the situation.

mods. feel free to close topic

Thank you

ps. not only i guarantee you i will not chase you down and murder in your sleep for your wirds (lol) but i will do an extra effort not to judge anyone in md for a long time. apparently i am less needed than i hoped to be

have fun

I didn't post in this topic before because I don't like one sided point of view it presents.

But that's what you asked for "Worst thing about Mur".

Don't be surprised you don't like what you see here. No one would.

It doesn't mean people think those are your main characteristics.

Even if someone thinks 99% good of you and 1% bad, when you ask only about bad it looks lot more than 1% more like a 100.

You asked for the worst and you got it... and it sounds like you are close to making a major decision based on that? Where's the balance?

http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/14468-best-thing-about-mur/

(I'm kissing ass, or I'm trying to balance this thread and let someone who I respect know what specific attributes we appreciate and how they breathe life into an otherwise stale MD)

Edited by Phantom Orchid

i guess this topic ended now, that all focus shifted on the favoritism part.

i shall take note of all your comments and critical observatios, and i thank you for them

i must say one thing you managed to do, convinced me even more that md has evolved to something different than i was aware of. like any parent that watches his kid grow, at some poit i need to realise my position in this vommunity and simply give up. my ONLY advantage over any of you is in my view my intuition about md future, yet this is something that is nowdys totally not respected and un valued. i am still a good programmer at times, but chew is better, rendril was better too...dude2 will take over in time if he keeps the good work........anyway... i shall read all your posts one more time soon, just for my awareness of the situation.

mods. feel free to close topic

Thank you

ps. not only i guarantee you i will not chase you down and murder in your sleep for your wirds (lol) but i will do an extra effort not to judge anyone in md for a long time. apparently i am less needed than i hoped to be

have fun

This is what I consider the worst thing about Mur. The situation calls for more activity from you, not less.

MD is your kid, but the rest of us are kids in MD compared to you. We can help MD out, but you're still required to do the heavy lifting. Can't leave a bunch of other kids in charge of your kid.

Edited by Jester

then think aboutbt this

you all are part of a breed that gets slowly extinct, now with all the games focused on getting more and more lazy and expense focused consumers, you, md "players", are near to extinction

why are you all here? you struggled so much in a virtual world that is not that friendly just to fight and envy eachother?

i admit you all managed to take me down but i do not blane any of you. its my fault i don't have the strenght anymore to put a fist into your mouth and tell you things are how i want them to be, period. I can't tell you that because things are NOT how i want them to be, sadly.

this topic is not a farce ("thank you" chew for your "confidence", again). I tried to learn what i was doing wrong and i realised.. i can not fix what i was doing wrong. Md learned me about raw honesty, and to be honest to myself now means to admit that if i want to play i will always do small favors and shape the game world as i think fit. thats the truth. so far i didn't see this as a crime, i saw this is my role actually...but..facing "the community" i will step down and let you find your own way to the total fairness that you seek.

i thought i will never reach the day when i will get to feel excluded from md, or useless. Well..i admit i still find in my mind ways i could be needed in md, but just in a technical way.

just as a note, you should know thay i was dreaming to see all of you one day on my "favors" list. Maybe is i were playng past year that list would have gotten long enough.

don't worry, i will continue my work as a coder, along with chew and dude2, we still have things to finish, things i am very proud of...but thats it, remember me for who i was not for what i will become.

Dude, what are you thinking?

You're sending all that time people spent on MD (including people like Chew who work so much) just down the drain like that? We have a heart too, ya know.

You apparently have NO idea how quickly MD will go extinct if you give up "officially".

I don't need or want favors. I want to be proud of what I have achieved through hard work.

I want to say: I got that spell because I did that or I won that quest or I jumped up and down while waving my arms.

We need to know we can get stuff IF we work for them not because we are good friends with you or ass kiss you. And most important: this process should be as transparent as possible.

I'll give you he first example that comes to my mind: Shadowseeker. Someone asked why he got access to the clues interface. I personally know and I totally agree he deserves it but how many of the players know why?

New players need to know that they don't have to "impress" you to get stuff. They need to know they can get it if they work for it.

Is being transparent (not entirely I agree) too much to ask for?

this topic is not a farce ("thank you" chew for your "confidence", again). I tried to learn what i was doing wrong and i realised.. i can not fix what i was doing wrong. Md learned me about raw honesty, and to be honest to myself now means to admit that if i want to play i will always do small favors and shape the game world as i think fit. thats the truth. so far i didn't see this as a crime, i saw this is my role actually...but..facing "the community" i will step down and let you find your own way to the total fairness that you seek.

i thought i will never reach the day when i will get to feel excluded from md, or useless. Well..i admit i still find in my mind ways i could be needed in md, but just in a technical way.

just as a note, you should know thay i was dreaming to see all of you one day on my "favors" list. Maybe is i were playng past year that list would have gotten long enough.

don't worry, i will continue my work as a coder, along with chew and dude2, we still have things to finish, things i am very proud of...but thats it, remember me for who i was not for what i will become.

Its a farce, a massive great farce.

You know what? What you are doing here is attempting to find a reason to leave MD, by pushing us away. "oh you all hate me, i will step away",

Your getting annoyed at my confidence, is not that. Read what i say, you will see why i call it a farce, and its nothing to do with confidence. When i talked to you the other day, and you say "we will talk tomorrow", you should actually make that appointment, i have things to say to you. We should have arguments about things we say, and not about you not reading my posts. Its much more fun and productive in actually arguing about real issues.

Push us away if you want, but nothing good with come of it, and your mood wont improve with this. I still am waiting for you to finish what we said, i waited up really late for you. I wont make that mistake again if you post more crap like this.

I don't need or want favors. I want to be proud of what I have achieved through hard work.

I want to say: I got that spell because I did that or I won that quest or I jumped up and down while waving my arms.

We need to know we can get stuff IF we work for them not because we are good friends with you or ass kiss you. And most important: this process should be as transparent as possible.

I'll give you he first example that comes to my mind: Shadowseeker. Someone asked why he got access to the clues interface. I personally know and I totally agree he deserves it but how many of the players know why?

New players need to know that they don't have to "impress" you to get stuff. They need to know they can get it if they work for it.

+1+1+1+1+1

Yes! I am positive spamming. Feel free to report :P

Edited by Phantom Orchid

I actually find it kind of sad that I keep silent about it forever (and only disclosed it to the relevant trusted people who would need to know to fix the interface) to find out it gets out like it does now. Then again, since I don't really like getting bothered and will just shut up more if someone tries to drill when I don't want to share, it probably doesn't matter.

Maybe this is in the wrong topic and I should write in the other favoristism one instead, but when it comes to things being given in MD and thing you earned, I would say yes, the given ones are much easier to attain. But no matter how you do it, the rewards you can gain from working are more and more importantly, more free. You can choose what you want. I can list examples if need be and you might argue the gifts are better, but that's not true- these gifts give you direction, and I would not be where I am if I only took gifts. I worked for the things I wanted, and I got many of the things I wanted, if I only wanted them bad enough. Not that much was given to me at all. I bargained, I won quests, I traded, I learned, I used what I knew. I had my period of "make a wish" too before, but it wasn't really serious, nor did I ever get what I asked for in that way. I asked for the sake of asking rather.

I wish a lot of the people in MD would deal with Mur as I do, or try to, most of the time. Yes, if he desires, suddenly you can receive a lot of things, powers, etc. But all that is short lived, because even if you receive it, what matters is what you do with it after. And that often fails if you receive things out of the blue. Everyone's perception, the ranting, everything is now what is cornering Mur- kind of ironic, but that's what it is, strangling the freedom he used to have.

Maybe MD is doomed to fail, I don't know. I just know I learned a lot about the spark of life. I'm sticking around to see what happens to this, and I sincerely hope it will get better, perhaps with me actively coming back one day.

@ Muratus del Mur

Sadly I will agree that this chewett comment seem plausible

"You know what? What you are doing here is attempting to find a reason to leave MD, by pushing us away. "oh you all hate me, i will step away"

I tought first that this thread at face value , that you trying for clue of improvement, i tryed to answer in that mind (with an toutch of humor)

If it was the case and the conversation got away in side track of favoritisim and discouraged you ...  

about favoritisim in gifts

almost all the name in the list that where talk about, its old stuff, i mean most those players are either not playing anymore, or are old players here .. seem to me prescription should play and everyone forget and start on new bases

the real problem mostly i may see, is that as MUR you where acting like the santa, giving nice rewards and tools, as you saw apropriate ... these times your not as near player and game as i think you where in the first developments years, ... so the problem, is there is no one that take that place of being an Santa anymore (except few time you come back on that)

about fairness of tolerance or those kind of things, i wont comments as its refer to mostly events that i was not even aware ... but then its your game, the word you created and you should know what is or is not

you have created exceptions and i see that being good, an uniform universe without them would be with much less excitements

I will point out an good exemple as i begun to play i saw someone with an tool that give the rarest commodity, AP .  At one time i asked how he came to that , and i was told that MUR just oneday came and gived that gift. That person was creating quests, puzzle and making life in MD. He was using that gift to help those that needed. (we talk about pickels)

my conclusions is that
- MD need you as an Santa that make exceptions
- MD need you to keep close to players (either as MUR or inconito to know players) as your time will allow , its even more important than coding, as you have now i understand good help in that area

Mur, MagicDuel might not need you in the future. Ideally MagicDuel's environment will produce a few more 'Murs' so that MagicDuel becomes self sustaining. If I were you, I'd want the genius behind MagicDuel to live on without me. However, I don't think that this has happened. There isn't another Mur yet--not even close.

MagicDuel was in a recession a few months ago. It was only staying alive because of the hope of something more, and the hope of what came before.

Now, that hope has bloomed into full-blown potential again. MagicDuel is beginning to grow rapidly, and has the potential to grow a lot more. This is only due to you coming back and revitalizing it, though. The feeling of change in the air is due to you.

I have lots of ideas for MD events that I'd like to implement when I have the time. Really, I think that what MD needs is more cyclicity. MD needs more heads contests, it needs more weekly Coloured Paper publications, it needs an adventure log. It needs quests that are run on a regular basis. Right now we have quests that are started sporadically and that can't be counted on to happen. I'm thinking of a few player-run events that can happen on a regular basis. Once I implement these, and once others do the same, MD will stay alive and will thrive.

However, it will still feel empty without you, Mur. Even if everything goes well, and there's lots of growth in MD, the question of 'Why are we here?' still needs to be answered. The community of MD still needs to understand the parts of your mind that drew them to MD before they have any chance of replicating that mentality in MD.

If you leave MD right now, it will become 'just another game' to me unless the spirit of Mur stays in the realm. Now, maybe I'm wrong and your presence will linger in MD long after you're gone. But maybe I'm right.

Your Awesomeness Cannot Be Expressed In Words

Besides all of that--you're awesome, Mur! :) I'm somewhat of an introvert and I don't naturally take the initiative in getting to know people, but I'd still love to get to know you, sometime. You should stay in MD simply because you're awesome, neat, intriguing, a Genius, and . . . because you're awesome. Ignore all of my philosophical musings above if they don't help you to realize that you're awesome. People love you for the millions of good and unique things about you, despite some of your flaws.

Edited by Change

in a world that i imagined to be tailored to each character, and actively coded things to fit one or the other character specifically, i can't go on the same way and appear to everyone else that i favor one or the other. There are features that required enormous amount of work yet they are used by one or two people...and somehow i can't see that as favoritism at all...think about that.

Of course i tend to protect one or the other character i invested time in, characters that i observed and occasionally tested. I also pick "random" people to give them "random" stuff, and as ss said it matters what they will do to that stuff, more than the fact they received it.

Sadly, i must admit that it is a punishment if i leave, and also i can;t really leave md...whats going on in your minds, how could i leave?

I will go on building stuff, but i shall not be involved in deciding who gets what anymore. If i understand it right, there is a "problem" with what i do with the things i create , not with what things i create in md.

and please after this don't dare to come to me with complains about who did what , i am obviously not the one to have the right judgement about this. There is a Council, with full power over everything, even over me. The decision of more will be better than the decision of one..at least in your view.

If I understand correclty, when it comes to "giving" features to people, there are the random rewards and the well-deserved ones.

I say you continue doing both, Mur. The well-deserved ones will go to the right hands and they'll make good use of it (or not). The random will go to someone that might or might not do a good thing with it, and if the person disappears or does anything stupid with it, it's his/her loss, we'll move on (as we always do, we have always adapted) and the next feature will go to a next random person. If we're talking about a really important feature, such as mp7, rest assured that will come back in the hands of other(s).

The thing is, by being here, we've survived, each in our own way, the famous filters Mur has set up. So, if we're still around, it's certain that "our time will come". Let's do our best and one day we'll get our fancy feature. Want it bad? Work three times harder.

In the end, I think MD is also a mirror of the real world. And Mur's role is of a Demon.

So, Mur, please stay around and continue doing what you've always done (of course that is my opinion, I can't speak for others). And if not, just stay "playing" with us :)

~Aelis

Mur, the last few days in which we interacted have been the best in my MD life so far.

It's not only you, its the people of MD too. If you leave, it's our fault as well, not completely yours, that we have forced you to act this way, no matter how punished we may feel later. Someone or the other HAS to be against someone else in every single thing atm in MD, no matter whether its earned, given randomly by Mur, you just don't care.

Even in a small community, we are biased against each other and go against the rules/justice for the benefit of ourselves or "friends", or the humiliation of "enemies". While I know it shouldn't be a love fest, there is zero tolerance unfortunately between MD players and each and every thing is made a huge issue about. Let everyone do what they want, including Mur!

More than half of the time in MD, we are fighting/thinking negatively about someone or the other in our minds, instead of having fun. Most just stay on the sidelines and support in their own way (aka supporting MD shop or coding, making quests, etc) in hope that MD will change. But it will never change if we don't be tolerant to what others do; to what Mur does/did/will do.

Edited by DARK DEMON

There is a Council, with full power over everything, even over me. The decision of more will be better than the decision of one..at least in your view.

Sure, for administrative stuff. Which they do well. But, on the creative side of things... MD needs your spark.

It seems to have reached a certain point of evolution, a stasis.

Now it is time to mutate.

Find your inspiration, the original breath of life that enabled you to create MD. 

Stir the pot.

Shake things up.

Never give up.

I think people got caught up a bit too much in this "Favoritism"

Whenever someone gets something, whether it be from working for it or having it handed to them, there's more likely than not going to be someone else with an opinion about it. That opinion could be good or bad, but mostly we see the bad don't we? That's when people feel the need to speak up about it as something seems wrong to them. This isn't bad in itself, but enough of it can be bad (as we see here). I think people need to calm down and try not to argue their point too much over trivial things.

Whether or not someone gets that shiny feature from Mur, Council, whoever or wherever else, does it really matter? There's going to be this so called "Favoritism" or bias in the choices even if there's all kinds of good reasons why they got that feature. Our own viewpoints on who got the feature is biased on if we like them or not. Bias is part of being human.

Can't we calm down and accept that sometimes there are reasons for what happened beyond what we can see? Or at least let it go, and be happy that good things are happening to others rather than put them down for it?

(Since I am posting, Mur I think you need to slow down on the death feature, I don't see the need for people to be able to be killed and have no reliable way of revival, effectively taking them out of the game for a while for no reason other than "I don't like you so I'll kill you")

Mur, is there any way, that you take your decision back?

I want to do something to make you stay present and active ingame. I am sure you are not happy about your decision. We are not happy either, so let us find a way. 

And I know there is ALWAYS a way.

Since Mallos brought that up: don't slow down on the death feature, remove it completely until it's equally as easy to revive. I'm just staying at the graveyard now, dead, unable to do anything as a player or as LHO (other than answering help requests if I get any). I'm not saying I shouldn't have got killed, but its a waste of time... nothing special about being dead, nothing different, it just takes you away from MD to seek time elsewhere.

Edited by DARK DEMON

Image you´re a music band. You did work quite some time at your new CD and there was not much communication between you and your fan base. Now after 4 years, and everybody is already getting upset because 4 years is a very long time the fans had to wait for new stuff from their favorite band, you´re announcing the record release party. To cover the time in between you are giving out some information and sound examples of the new stuff. You tell your fans that something new is in your music and that you had this and that new influence. So you have changed and your music too. And here it starts ...

At the record release party you´re standing on the stage asking the fans what the think about the new stuff you were just performing and they start to criticize and analyze every single note and new influence of your work ( imagine all the time and energy you were putting in). And imagine the energy of 200 people in front of that stage is coming towards you. Fans are disappointed because you changed in this direction others had expectations because you gave out information beforehand and they made their own pictures in their head how it would sound and now the expectations are not meet. So what were you expecting? The point is you were expecting something and expectations are sometimes or maybe often disappointed. If you would not care about the fans or what they think you would feel no emotional impact. 

Mur I see you now standing on that stage asking us what we think of you ... We all have expectation about you and as I said they are mostly disappointed (I include my own statement in this topic too) - which is from our side not working in a constructive way ... and at the same moment you had your expectations the moment you were asking and they get disillusioned too. So we have loss/loss situation and the "energy" which is created from a situation where all are loosing something is the result we are observing in this topic. We are all a part of this and there is no doubt for me that we all played our own part in it adding our own desires and ego´s to it. 

But we are able to create win/win situations instead of loss/loss ... 

How - is what we need to find out now.        

It is hard for me to figure out what is the worst about you from my perspective, not that there was many things about you competing with one another for the title of being the worst, just thinking about what I do know about you, I could not quite name anything quite bad. Then again I do not know you very well I suppose. One thing I finally decided was slightly related enough to this topic and probably mentioned before is that you leaving (or well being less active for a time period) bothered me. I had a great deal of joy coming from seeing you around, trying to grab your attention and interacting or helping you whenever I could, but with you no longer showing up or requiring it, motivation left. I don't think this quite belongs here because it probably was not something you could help and was not wholly your fault, or maybe it was. You (Or someone who understands this, and you, better than I) could identify what about it belongs to you and see if it is something you'd like changed. But that is just one irrelevant problem from a stranger!

Another thing I could probably mention, that might have been more a fault on mine than yours, but I am not quite sure wholly so I'd like to name it was that being social with you seemed very difficult, I am not used to dealing with a superior, and I had a feeling of you being a superior that made it slightly difficult for me to try and break through and be a bit more social with you aside from what was needed and trying to slightly grab your attention in hopes of being able to do more things.

I hope this isn't too far off the topic, I just wanted to try and give my thoughts on this topic even if it is useless and unneeded.

then think aboutbt this

i can not fix what i was doing wrong. Md learned me about raw honesty, and to be honest to myself now means to admit that if i want to play i will always do small favors and shape the game world as i think fit. thats the truth. so far i didn't see this as a crime, i saw this is my role actually..

And this is precisely what I meant in my post. 

Before explaining, I do want to repeat prior comments.  You asked for negatives.  If my best friend who'm I'd taek a bullet for said so bluntly "hey, tell me why I'm a jerk",  then I'd tell him.   That doesn't mean the Jerky thing defines him at ALL in my mind.  Nobody is perfect, and we celebrate those quirky differences.

But this comment I quote is what I mean by the main flaw I see in Mur (the player? character? Role?).   Own the game.   If you favor someone,  horray, there's a new feature or happy player in the realm.  You obviously had a reason for doing it, even if "merely instinctive".   It shaped MD more closely into "your vision" at that moment.

Administrative logistics be darned,  MD is your Artwork.   It's not your baby to see grow and change then cast it off to the wilds and hope it survives. (no insult against council, etc in this analogy).   It is your Art, and your Creation.   We all understand it a bit differently, like any famous bit of Art, but the creation itself stands on it's own as "The Work of the Artist".      It inspires us, frustrates us, makes us think, and ponder, and cry and smile... but that is our reflection from MD.   MD itself is yours.   Make it how you want, and consider the complaints another "Filter".    :)

Without you, it's just a carnival of clowns smacking each other around. 

(yes, over-use of MD symbols is result of being sleep-depraved[sic])

... now you can get back to discussing favoritism or such....

now what, i should consider these votes of trust and distrust and think what i should do? lol

Maybe if i label them as "favors" by default, and not insist that much that i have a reason for them would help the general opinion think differently about my actions? Or an other option, i post any such action public and let people vote on it before it happens? (It kind of ruins my play but..)

Many of you "accused" me this is a way for me to say goodbye to md. Its actually not, you either get this or not, i won;t comment on it anymore...and please don;t sent me private messages when i posted this PUBLIC. Somehow i feel what i do concernes everybody...so should the info that might affect my decisions.